Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving day thots.

While I was driving back from Boston this morning - having taken Skeintily Clad and her BF to South Station at 7:30 - I heard a story on NPR about a Waltham family whose husband/father is stationed in Iraq this year. I encourage all who read this blog (I know, there are scads of you) to take a minute and listen to the story WBUR page with link to audio.

This story got me to thinking - especially about the young girl who was so wanting the basketball net set up - are there any resources for the families of the men and women serving? Not monetary, but more like - who puts together the basketball net when dad is away? Who does the light maintenance or repair jobs around the house? I was thinking, hey, I could help out, go over and put the basketball net up. Then I heard the dad's admonishment to his daughter - 'mom's decision but it has to be safely constructed.' I thought to myself that I could probably do it, but my dad would be better at it - being all handy and such.

How strange it would be for my dad to just show up at these people's home and say "here to put up the basketball net." Or would it? I wonder if there is a way for people who want to help out can get connected with people who need help - specifically for these types of things. A way to connect families of service men and women who are down a whole family member with people who have skills and/ or motivation, and want to donate their services. I might not put a basketball net competently (nor have the necessary tools) but I could rake a yard. Or set up a computer. Or figure out a way for people to help the families who have to keep on keepin' on, even when they are down a player.

I am envisioning a transient thing - similar to the Helping Hands website we set up for QB, after the blood clot. Families would post what they need - help putting up a basketball net, raking the front yard and taking the leaves to the dump, one offs and such, and volunteers could request to take tasks - like a carpenter with two extra hours on a Sunday to put up a basketball net for a kid whose dad is in Iraq for another 9 months.

Anyway, I need feedback. Does this already exist? Are there places for volunteers to do such things in support of the families?

That was my Thanksgiving thot. Not sure what to do with it, other than write it out and beg for opinions or information.

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home